Home-made sport gel
It's not really Gu, of
is a gel. This is a thick liquid.
contains a number of meaningless
vitamins. This doesn't. Gu contains
juice. This does. In reality, this recipe is probably
closest to Hammer
The following delivers ~320 calories, or a little more than 3 packets
½ tsp / 3g salt (optional)
1/2 cup water
~1 tablespoon of fruit juice
I use a Gu Flask.
This is essentially a tiny water bottle with
an extra wide sport top. Overpriced, but handy.
- Measure maltodextrin and dextrose into a glass
jar or tall
- Add about ½ cup water or a bit less than the volume
capacity of a Gu Flask.
- Heat in microwave oven. Intermittently remove from
stir. Be careful not to allow the mixture to boil over.
- When mixture if fully dissolved, remove from microwave and pour
into Gu Flask.
- There should be enough space left in Gu Flask for
of fruit juice. Add that and you are done.
This recipe can be refrigerated for a least a week, probably
longer. However, it needs to be warm to be used. I
recommend making a batch the night before and then tossing it in the
microwave briefly just before heading out. If carried in a jersey
pocket, body heat is more than sufficient to keep the concoction liquid
and free flowing.